Monday, February 7, 2011

The Search Through The Rainbow of Purple

When we initially decided that we wanted to have purple as our main color throughout the wedding, I never imagined the journey we would now be on. Do you all know that purple is a ridonkulous....yes, it's so ridiculous it's ridonkulous, color to match! We decided a deep purple, like David Bridal's lapis color, would be perfect!

Well, their service left something to be desired and I found a seller on Etsy that would be making the bridesmaid's dresses. I wanted the convertible dress since I felt it would look good on our wide array of bridesmaid's figures. Finding the seller for a good price = easy peasy...finding a similar deep purple in a milliskin fabric = one of the HARDEST challenges so far in the wedding planning process.

The seller usually buys fabric from one company, so she sent me two samples of different "purples."

The Search Through the Rainbow of Purples :  wedding dress bridesmaid purple IMG 2667

The color on the right "merlot," had too much red in it, while the "plum" on the left was perfect! Except there was one tiny problem...

The Search Through the Rainbow of Purples :  wedding dress bridesmaid purple IMG 2668

Because the fabric was rayon, and not the nice shinny milliskin fabirc, it was see through when stretched. Since the point of a convertible dress is to, well, make it convert into an array of styles, and "stretch" the fabric, it was also out.

She then suggested me to another company. They had 4 different purples on their website so I asked for them to send me all four. This is what came in the mail.

The Search Through the Rainbow of Purples :  wedding dress bridesmaid purple IMG 2670

Do any of these look like deep purple? I didn't think so...you can even see my chicken scratch of what the colors are called....deep purple my butt!

At this point I had given up, I think my seller had too! I was now praying to the fabric gods to come up with a dark purple in a milliksin fabric, not to hard to ask right?

I then stumbled upon the company Stretch House. They had a bunch of options on their website and requested around 8 samples in both milliskin and molskin. I even picked the purples that looked nothing like dark purple on the screen....just to compare.

Two days later this huge package is sitting in our mail box. I open it up to this wonder:

The Search Through the Rainbow of Purples :  wedding dress bridesmaid purple IMG 2673

Although I requested a handful of samples they sent me every single one! Sahweet! And thank god they did because their colors online look noting like the real thing....not one bit! The purple I thought would work is actually that fushia looking one on the bottom. And good news came out of this search...the fabric in the middle, that is cut in half, is actually the one we went with. It is exact to the lapis sample I have from David's! It only took about two months but we found the perfect fabric!

I know there are other purple brides out there. Did you struggle matching purples whether it be a dress, shoes, cake topper, etc?

No comments:

Post a Comment