Sunday, February 6, 2011

He Hung It On A Tree Branch

Here it is ladies and gents....the proposal story! Now up to this point we had been dating for about a year and a half. Around October we started talking about the possibility of getting married. We both knew we wanted to spend our lives together and that we each made the other happy, so what was there to think about?


Christmas Eve is a huge holiday for my family, my dad is one of fourteen, and although we don't see all of them holidays are still crazy. So, we were traveling around making visits to friends and preparing some last minute details for Christmas; this year was no exception for craziness!  The weather was freezing as any good Upstate New York winter is, and I wanted to get everything done quickly to get back inside and curl up on the couch before heading out for Christmas Eve celebrations with the family.


Kevin said that we needed to stop by the house, because he needed to pick something up before stopping at a friend's house. I had a feeling that something was up, it takes a lot to surprise me, but I thought that he was planning on proposing in June around my graduation and our two year anniversary, so I pushed those proposal thoughts into the back of my mind. 


When we got in the house we walked in the living room and Kev said, "I think that Santa came early, you better check the tree!" My first thought was, yeah okay...what is he trying to pull? But then, when I looked in the tree I saw a tiny box. I knew that this was the moment, I grabbed the box and as I was turning around he was on one knee. I opened the box and saw the beautiful diamond sparkling as he asked me if I would marry him! Even though I had a sneaky suspicion and wasn't completely thrown off my game, I cried. See again with me always crying! Of course through the tears I said YES!!!






I was surprised that he had proposed on a day that he had to work, with any service job you don't get holidays off, instead they receive floating holidays. He said he wanted to give it to me before seeing everyone. My parents knew he was proposing, since he asked permission, but didn't know when it would happen. It was such a memorable Christmas Eve, the whole family was ecstatic, since I am the first of the grandkids to get married. The hard thing was trying to have everyone keep it quiet (in a small town this isn't so easy to do), because his family wouldn't find out until Christmas day. The next day we walked in with the ring and they were so happy!


Did anyone else know the proposal was coming, or were you completely surprised?

No comments:

Post a Comment