Monday, February 7, 2011

DIY Unity Candle

Unity Candle :  wedding candle unity black purple white silver ceremony diy IMG 2689

Like many other brides, I found a bunch of great sellers on Etsy that would make our Unity Candle. The problem was, I didn't want to spend $30 on something I knew I could do myself.

I started by purchasing a vellum sample pack from cardsandpockets.com, because I wasn't sure what color or thickness I would need, and didn't want to buy a whole package of vellum.

I then went to Michael's and purchased a purple and silver spool of ribbon ($2 each with my 50% off coupon). I purcahsed the tapper candles from the Dollar store for $1.08 for the pair, and then the pillar candle from Walmart. They didn't have a tall unscented one so I went with Fresh Cotton.

Here were all my supplies:

Unity Candle :  wedding candle unity black purple white silver ceremony diy IMG 2679

I then printed out my design for the pillar candle and two tappers on one sheet of vellum:

Unity Candle :  wedding candle unity black purple white silver ceremony diy IMG 2680

I then cut out the three areas I would need with my paper cutter. I first tried gluing the vellum to the candle but that didn't work. In retrospect I'm sure hot glue would have done it but I didn't want it to be lumpy. So I just tapped the back with regular tape.

Unity Candle :  wedding candle unity black purple white silver ceremony diy IMG 2681

Once that was on I took my purple ribbon, which would be the base, and put that around to hide where the vellum meets the candle. But first I took a flame to melt the edge of the ribbon so it wouldn't fray.

Unity Candle :  wedding candle unity black purple white silver ceremony diy IMG 2683

I then took the ribbon, wrapped it around the top and bottom, and just glued both ends to the backside of the candle.

Unity Candle :  wedding candle unity black purple white silver ceremony diy IMG 2685

I then did the same with the silver ribbon, and placed that in the middle of the purple ribbon, and again glued it to the back. I did the same with the tapper candles. Now we have a beautiful unity candle set!

Unity Candle :  wedding candle unity black purple white silver ceremony diy IMG 2689

No comments:

Post a Comment