Like many other brides, I found a bunch of great sellers on Etsy that would make our Unity Candle. The problem was, I didn't want to spend $30 on something I knew I could do myself.
I started by purchasing a vellum sample pack from cardsandpockets.com, because I wasn't sure what color or thickness I would need, and didn't want to buy a whole package of vellum.
I then went to Michael's and purchased a purple and silver spool of ribbon ($2 each with my 50% off coupon). I purcahsed the tapper candles from the Dollar store for $1.08 for the pair, and then the pillar candle from Walmart. They didn't have a tall unscented one so I went with Fresh Cotton.
Here were all my supplies:
I then printed out my design for the pillar candle and two tappers on one sheet of vellum:
I then cut out the three areas I would need with my paper cutter. I first tried gluing the vellum to the candle but that didn't work. In retrospect I'm sure hot glue would have done it but I didn't want it to be lumpy. So I just tapped the back with regular tape.
Once that was on I took my purple ribbon, which would be the base, and put that around to hide where the vellum meets the candle. But first I took a flame to melt the edge of the ribbon so it wouldn't fray.
I then took the ribbon, wrapped it around the top and bottom, and just glued both ends to the backside of the candle.
I then did the same with the silver ribbon, and placed that in the middle of the purple ribbon, and again glued it to the back. I did the same with the tapper candles. Now we have a beautiful unity candle set!