Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tysons Corner Subway Project

Now, I know that I have been emerged in wedding talk, blogs, pictures, the works...and that is mainly reflected through my blog. But, I want to bring a little of it back to my other passion, city planning. Now I know that some of you (if not all) are now asleep at your desks from those two words, but while visiting DC I was able to see this very intense rehab project up close.

I visited DC last May and noticed all the construction...everywhere...but didn't pay much mind to it, it is a big city after all and cities tend to have construction projects going on all the time. Well we returned, and it was still happening, that's when I was curious. Turns out that right outside of DC, in the suburbs, and mainly focusing on Tysons Corner, they are extending the DC subway system to Dulles Airport.

Source
You're probably saying to yourself, "why is this so amazing?" Glad you asked, this is the largest scale attempt in the country to remake a traffic choked suburban area while three huge truss cranes that assemble bridge spans in the air while motorists travel below. This allows the work to proceed while 100,000 shoppers and commuters go about their business. Now this may be my crazy planner brain coming forward but this is amazing. The project started in January 2009 and will not be completed until sometime in 2016.


You can see more about the project here, with pictures and an interactive map. 


Has anyone been by this project?

No comments:

Post a Comment